Free-to-Play Guide

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Free-to-Play Guide

Post by kernal on Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:00 pm

Galaxy Online, like many pay-to-win games, appears to contain quite a lot of content that is locked to players who do not spend any money.  While there is some truth to this, the limits are far higher than most realize.  In particular, I believe that almost any (and perhaps in fact every) constellation can be completed without spending a dime.  This thread will detail the successes of of my 0-mp alt.  

Note that if you do intend to follow in these footsteps, the going is much slower.  For example, to help in attempts at more difficult constellations I have run Libra4 to acquire a Bain commander.  Each run of this took about an hour, and I didn't see a Bain until around my 70th run.  Meanwhile, such a commander is worth only about 40mp.  

The Rules:

1. Mp:  None.  I will not buy any, and I will not use any coupons.
  2. Commanders: Only what I can farm from instances and constellations.  
  3. Ships: Ships are fair game.  I buy or borrow many high-end ships with gold and res.  
  4. Bot: I'm using Go2bot to farm instances and constellations. I'm sharing a subscription with my main.

The Goal:
The goal of this project is to farm aries2 for blueprints to funnel into my main, so Kernal (my main) can save his const passes.  Not perhaps particularly noble, and I'm sure this will change over time as more ships and constellations are released.  

Notes:
The Commander rule limits me almost entirely to 1* commanders. I can make a 2* by using my free sealing cards, but probably will not. I can also make higher* RI skill comms, but don't expect this to be necessary. Mostly I'm relying in 1* comms I can farm out of instances (Libra and Aries mostly), and whatever useful supers I can get out of trial10 (hooray Eveline!).
While the bot does make things go faster, it doesn't open up anything to me that is not available to total f2pers. In particular, anybody can use AutoHotKey to, with a little more work, achieve the same functionality (ability to auto-farm consts and instances, etc).

Cheers,
Kernal

Last edited by kernal on Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

kernal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Instances

Post by kernal on Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:01 pm

Instances are hugely important for the f2p player looking to excel. While many players barter with mp or (mp-derived) commander cards, your primary currencies are resources & gold. Eventually you may begin to sell blueprints from constellations, but this will require good ships which are not cheap. So: Get your farming on.

I won't re-iterate instance farming strategies here; they're covered elsewhere in the forum. I will say that I did a good deal of farming in i25 (~2M of each res/hr), which is how I could afford the ships to complete harder content.

I did eventually get the comms to speedfarm i27. A few I earned on my own (1* dopplegangers and 1* titan from Libra; 1 commander off of the "lucky wheel;" heartless ones and forsaken are available through aries 1&2) and the rest I bought for gold to help with farming. 1* commanders are adequate now that trials & wheel give enormous amounts of gem fragments. These commanders cost about 100M gold each, but this investment paid itself off after about a week of farming. I will refrain from using these commanders to complete constellations.

Last edited by kernal on Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Filling Content)

kernal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Free-to-Play Guide

<Reserved for Trials>

kernal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Restricted Instances

Restricted instances give important rewards. Most notably, they provide the constellation passes necessary to run the constellations I want to. They also provide badges (necessary for ships after hamdar/helena/tiamat) and, in the more difficult ones, unbound skill comm cards and even voucher packs.

Here I do nothing unusual. I run Restricted Instance 8 using 21 fleets piloted by commons. Each fleet has 8 stacks of 1100 independence-III ships outfitted with 8xEoS-III and shooting star balli weapons. They use 250 Grim Reaper-X as a flagship. This flag is very useful in Ri-8 because with it, almost every enemy ship stack dies in a single hit - with so many enemy fleets this reduces the completion time from ~2hr to 45 minutes.

Last edited by kernal on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

kernal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Libra Constellation

Libra is a very important constellation to run for this project because it can drop (bound) commander cards.  In particular, Libra1 drops a 1* Doppleganger, Libra2 drops a 1* Titan, and Libra4 drops a 1* Bain.  The Bain is most important for later constellations; this will be my primary tank to 0-stat enemy fleets.  Titan and Dopplegangers are generically useful for their high stats - they can be speed comms, help complete trials, and Dopplegangers can even run Humaroids.

Libra might be my favourite constellation.  If you send 8 fleets of the best ships piloted by 9* commanders without a coherent strategy, you will lose horribly.  If you send commons with decent, tailored fleets and a solid strategy, you can win easily and without suffering any losses.  

The Strategy:*
Like almost all constellations, the goal is to have every enemy fleet firing at your tank(s) while the rest of your fleets freely destroy the enemy.  This is particularly easy in Libra because every single enemy fleet targets "Max Attack," so only the the fleet of yours which has the highest maximum attack value (counting effective stack, max attack bionic chip(s), and +attack power (%) gems) will be targeted.  

To take advantage of this, we make one max attack tank.  The rest of your fleets (7) can be all glass.  With weak commanders (I used commons), I used Directional Weapons because of their high hit-rates - the commanders in Libra have high dodge values.  

The Max Attack Tank:
The max attack tank has two requirements: Take no damage, and be Max Attack.  To take no damage in Libra, I found independence-III with 1x ARA (or EA), 5x JoL, and Scylla-III flagship were adequate.  I used 5 stacks of 1500 of these - layout below.  

For Max Attack, ship-based weapons have the highest max attack values / volume.  My tech is awful, so I used "Hunter" streamliner-I and a max attack bionic chip (the chip is very important!  Shoot for purple/orange V or better).  I crammed as many of them into the fleet as I could, which meant filling the scylla-III flagship and the remaining 3 stacks.  

Ships (Using stacks of 1500):

• [P]7500 Independence-III

• 1x Armstrong Radion Armor-III
    • 5x Jack-o-Lantern-III
    • 10 Move
    • Fill with "Hunter" Streamliner-I (Or champs-tier SBW)

• [S] 1500 Scylla-III

• 10 Move
    • Fill with Ship-Based-Weapons

• [E] 4500 Erotes-III

• 10 Move
    • Fill with Ship-Based-Weapons

Setup the fleet like:
E E P
E S P
P P P

This protects the front and left side.  With this much move, and by targeting closest, the unprotected left/back should not get shot at until maybe the very end.  

The Hitters
The hitters need no defenses because the enemy fleets are all focused on your tank. All they need to do is move into position, hit the enemy fleets, and do tons of damage. These ships are, unfortunately, expensive and you need about 50k of them. Find someone (corpsie?) who is willing to sell them to you for copious amounts of res that you farmed in i25.

Libra fleets have moderately high agi and the comms are all 9* acc/dodge, so these fleets are hard to get a good hit-rate on using common commanders. I use directional weapons because they have the highest steering and hit-rate values, put them on ships with + hit-rate stats (ideally eurus or alecto, though arctic airboards or hallow's reapers work also), and include as much steering and to-hit modules as are available. Tech permitting, something like this would be ideal.

Each 'hitter' fleet should have 1 conq-x (conqs are bad at doing damage, so don't waste attack power by putting weapons on!) and as many stacks of your hitters as you can afford without overtaking your max attack tank.

*Constellation Caveat:  Exact details such as fleet fleet makeup (due to different ships), fleet positioning (due to different speeds), fleet targeting, etc, WILL vary from player to player.  This is not an exact, complete walkthrough for constellation completion.  Expect to spend some time using trial and error to tweak your particular setup to achieve a clean completion.

Last edited by kernal on Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

kernal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Scorpio 4

Post by kernal on Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:02 pm

Here's a video of my scorpio run.

http://youtu.be/tAFDpCg3WxI

Last edited by kernal on Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding Content)

kernal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

<Reserved for Aries>

kernal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

<Reserved>

kernal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

<Reserved>

kernal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Short Update

Post by kernal on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:37 pm

I have Aries2 working now. Comm requirements: 7x comms with 150+ speed, and 1x 1* Bain.

At the moment I'm cheating slightly by using 1* speed farmer divs (only some of which I earned through const). Will get it working with supers (from T10) and post some details.

Cheers,
Kernal

kernal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top